Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga is a system of hatha yoga taught by Sri Pattabhi Jois at the Ashtanga Yoga Research Institute in Mysore, India.
My teacher Paul Dallaghan first conducted a 200-hour intensive two years ago, then just recently, Alex Medin also conducted one in Pasig. Next year, both will have their own intensives in Manila. Paul's will be conducted over a period of 9 months while Alex's will be conducted in 4 straight weeks.
The yoga community in Manila has been growing rapidly with studios opening and teachers getting 200-hour credentials. Fitness First Philippines had their 200-hour multi-style training this year. My friend Fritz joined this training and he found it good in terms of alignment and teaching techniques. He previously trained under Bela Lipat and is currently teaching at Yoga One Banilad and Fitness First in Cebu. Fritz and I were members of Team Yoga 2002.
Here's a list of Yoga Studios/teachers in the Philippines:
Studios
- Yoga Manila
- Vinyasa Yoga Center
- Iyengar Yoga Center Manila
- Bikram Yoga Manila
- Bikram's Yoga Greenhills
- Yoga Philippines Nature Sanctuary
- Mandala Spa Yoga in Boracay
- Mandarin Oriental Yoga
- Pulse Yoga
- Ananda Marga Yoga Center
- Ra Kendra Yoga Center
- Groove Dance & Fitness Studio
- International Yoga Institute Philippines
- Yoga One Cebu
Namaste.
8 comments:
Hi Jon, me again. I'm interested in taking an intensive course next year. I was hoping I could ask for your thoughts on teachers. On one hand, I feel drawn to studying under Paul Dallaghan. On the other, my mind is curious, course duration aside, what do you see as being different between studying under Paul and studying under Alex Medin?
Thanks very much for any insights and advice!
Hi Avril,
I've heard Alex is a wonderful teacher as well but I can only tell you about Paul as I haven't studied with Alex.
One of the advantages of taking Alex's tt at Pulse (I'm assuming you're from Manila) is that you don't have to travel nor do you need to totally leave your job/responsibilities/etc for one whole month. With Paul, you'd be away for 5 weeks and will have a more focused time. Unless of course you take the staggered program with Yoga Manila.
There are a lot of factors to be considered as well.
Honestly, if the timing was right, I would have taken Alex's tt because it was held in Manila and cheaper. But somehow, the road was leading me to Paul even a year before the actual training started.
Paul is a wonderful teacher plus he is assisted by Neil who is a very good anatomy teacher.
Thanks very much, Jon! I have a year to go so I need to do all the research I can before choosing a course. Hope to meet you sometime when you get back here.
Hi Jon, Avril,
Joining in your conversation... Jon & I were classmates under Paul. Same as Jon, I can only tell you about what I experienced. Agree that Paul is a wonderful teacher and very, very entertaining too. So is Neil.
I was also 'led' to yoga thailand/Paul by a tip from Pio (who teaches at Golds Gym where I used to go) to check out the centered yoga website. I did not even know about ashtanga yoga or the ashtanga groups in manila until my first retreat in Yoga Thailand. Basta I just went there without knowing anyone and unsure of what to expect. In hindsight, that first trip was probably a test of faith/courage. My second course was a different story. That was something I really prepared for... required kasi. haha. With papers and books reports and whatnot. It was an excellent experience. Truly, what you put in, you get in return plus 'interest' for the rest of your life.
If you think a chat will help in your research, just let me know. trin.custodio@gmail.com. Your 1-yr prep time sounds right. All the best. :-)
Trin!!! Musta!?!
Tayong dalawa ata yung over-prepared sa course, hahaha... halatang sanay mag-aral.
good day!.. im interested in taking yoga courses, could you recommend which yoga courses i will take since i have a thoracic dextro scoliosis ..? will this yoga be beneficial in my case? Hopefully there's one available here in Cebu. thank you !
good day!.. im interested in taking yoga courses, could you recommend which yoga courses i will take since i have a thoracic dextro scoliosis ..? will this yoga be beneficial in my case? Hopefully there's one available here in Cebu. thank you !
Namaste QP,
It depends how severe your case is, your current physical activity level, and your purpose of starting a yoga practice.
If you're looking for a therapeutic practice, restorative yoga or yoga therapy might be the best choice for you.
If you want to practice ashtanga, it would be best to see a teacher who understands your condition so that she can modify the poses according to your capacity.
Unfortunately, the only yoga studio that I know in Cebu closed down a couple of months ago although there's a rumor that they might open again in a different location. Their website is still running though.
Hope this helps.
Post a Comment