The title caught my eyes... I was browsing through yahoo and found this. I'm not about to adopt this diet but thought it's interesting enough to post here.
The promoter of this diet is Rev. George Malkmus, a 70+ year-old Fundamentalist Christian minister who is popular not because of his approach to the scripture but his diet.
His working philosophy is from Genesis 1:29 "then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food."
Typical meal consists of a teaspoon of powder called barley max, raw fruits, vegetables, seeds and nuts. I became very skeptical after hearing the barley max powder... thought it's another one of those Western commercialization schemes.
Followers of this Bible-based diet proclaim its positive effects on their health but nutrition experts say these anecdotal claims are dificult to prove.
Prof. Cheryl Rock from the Univ. of California San Diego co-authored a study on breast cancer patients who ate heaping amounts of fruits and vegetables and found that they did not enjoy better outcome. She finds the Halleluyah diet too extreme, difficult to maintain, and lacks protein. It is also too risky in terms of meeting all nutritional needs.
I haven't read everything in the Hallelujah Acres' website and I only based this blog on what I saw in the Yahoo Health Video (was trying to link it here but couldn't find the url... you can probably search it in yahoo if you want to view it). Click here if you want to download the free 12-lesson course on Biblical Nutrition.
No comments:
Post a Comment