Photo courtesy of Jasmine Liddington
Haven't updated for a while. I'm still trying to organize my thoughts on how I'd write some of the interesting findings that I've found regarding energy expenditure during ashtanga practice. Thought I'd write an academic paper about it but it would take a little bit more time as I'll need to research for sources to support my statements. It will be a good practice if I will pursue further studies in the future.
Anyway, just a summary of that personal experiment:
- Both Mysore- and led-ashtanga allows one to burn approximately 6cal/min. (up to 2 decimal places, mysore burns an average of 6.25cal/min while led burns an average of 5.68cal/min)
- Suryas burn approximately 4 cal/min, Mysore; 4 cal/min, Led.
- Standing sequence, 7 cal/min, Mysore; 5cal/min, Led.
- Seated from Paschimottanasana prep to Navasana, 9 cal/min, Mysore; 8 cal/min, Led.
- Seated from Bhujapidasana to Setu Bandhasana, 8 cal/min, Mysore; 7cal/min, Led.
- Backbending, 8 cal/min, Mysore; 7cal/min, Led.
- Closing, 3 cal/min, Mysore; 4cal/min Led.
- Savasana, 2 cal/min both.
- Maximum heart rate was achieved in the seated postures.
There have been studies on other asana methods but nothing, I believe, has been done on ashtanga. While the classic texts state that the purpose of asanas is to prepare the body for the deeper practices of yoga, it maybe interesting to know how the heart rate behaves in an ashtanga practice. The calorie counting might be able to support its claims of "purifying" the body (fats being a form of tamasic energy). As I've learned from Tiwariji, we should use modern science to prove that yoga really works.
My thoughts are still disorganized but hopefully will be able to collect my ideas in the next few days and come up with a better entry.
For the mean time, you can read this post from Ashtanga News.Cheers.

No comments:
Post a Comment