Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Berries Good for the Heart


A new study shows that eating moderate amounts of berries every day may lower blood pressure and raise good cholesterol. The problem is, I'm not really a fruit eater... or maybe I'm just not used to Western fruits as I eat bananas almost every day. Aside from the fact that it's easy to eat, it goes really well also with my daily muesli and yoghurt breakfast. I also love mangoes and papayas but they are expensive here in Riyadh.

I bought some kiwis, strawberries, cherries and plums about 2 weeks ago and guess what? Most are just rotting in my fridge. Threw the strawberries already but the rest are still there. They still look edible so I might eat them soon.

Nothing much exciting. Had steamed rice and fried tofu with chili garlic and hoisin sauce. It was nice.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not a fan of cherries and plum either. Yeah, maybe we are just used to tropical fruits. But try adding yogurt to your bowl of strawberries and kiwis. If you have a sweet tooth, try condensed milk with them ;-D Yummy! My American bro-in-law could not believe we Filipinos add "sweet milk" to fruit cocktails and avocados (Hmmm, do you? Well, I do and I love them!=)

Kwentong prutas lang: I think kiwis are not so popular among middle-class Pinoys. One time my cousin brought home a bagful for her 8-year-old daughter and when the kid took a look at the fruits, she exclaimed, "Nanay! Yung chico may buhok!" =D

Unknown said...

ay masarap yun... bananas, kiwis and strawberries plus yoghurt... I usually have that on weekends when I have more time to just linger in the kitchen.

Condensed milk? Yes, masarap sya but baka magka-diabetes na ko, hahaha. But yes to avocados with condensed milk.

Chico!?! hahahaha... but honestly, don't they belong to the same fruit family?

Anonymous said...

Sarap 'no?! Kaso mahal sila sa Pinas kaya may Pinoy version ako: mangga (yung "kalabaw" variety, hindi pico o indian ha), papaya, melon, at saging + yogurt (American influence e, walang "h" ;-). Kaso in botanical parlance, walang berries sa kanila, he he. I got this mix from a friend who used to take it as homoepathic cure for his cancer.

You're right! Kiwi and chico belong to the same family. Chico pala is "hardy kiwi."

Unknown said...

Wow.. ma-try nga yan pagdating ko Pinas. But I don't think I like the melon in it. I love melon on its own especially now that it's summer time!

I want go to Boracay!!! waaaaaa

Unknown said...

"Women are more likely to eat fruits and vegetables compared to men." Read the article here.

Anonymous said...

Interesting article, thanks! I actually found a lot of nice reads in that site. =D

Re bora, did you know that your Ate Rose hasn't been there yet? We've been planning a visit in the last two years, di kami matuloy. I was there ages ago...wala pang party life nun sa bora, ha ha ha!

Unknown said...

HUWAT??? hehehe... ayain mo sya dun uli... work na lang ata ng work yun kaya di nakakapunta pa sa bora, hehehe... but they went to Sarangani with the other cousins. Parang Boracay din dun minus the party life. me photos sya dun sa multiply site nya.