Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Potato Soup turned Minestrone

Cheesy potato soup (Hehehe, I think I can hear M saying, "Cheese on soup again??? Yuck!!!") was the planned dinner last night but when I opened the ref, I saw an old carrot and half a box of chickpeas (at first I thought it was sweet corn). So I told myself I'd just make vegetable soup.

After collecting all the vegetables that I need plus one organic vegetable stock from the ref, I proceeded to the kitchen and prepared the ingredients. Boiled about 750ml of water in a small saucepan, added the potatoes chopped into small cubes, then the carrot which was prepared the same way, the chickpeas, and the stock cube.

The soup looked like minestrone so I thought maybe I should add tomato in it. Walked back to my room to get 1 tomato, returned to the kitchen and chopped it into small chunks. Added the tomato into the soup, stirred it, and had a taste. Still lacking something... "hmmmnnnn... what can I add?" Checked the cupboard and saw a small box of tomato paste, cut it open and added about 2 tablespoons into the soup. Had a taste again, and "mmmm... better.. needs some herbs though". Took the dried rosemary and basil out and added about a teaspoon each. Dash of salt.

Time to hit the shower and dinner should be ready in 10 minutes.

Toasted some nice bread which I bought from Carrefour, buttered it and I had my first bowl of the soup. It was good but thought it can be better. After the first bowl, I decided to puree the rest, had the 2nd bowl topped with formaggio cheese and voila... tomato-based soup! Had 3 bowls plus 5 slices of buttered bread in all while watching Wowowee. Dinner was lovely.

"What's with the cheese!?!", M.

Brian left a comment on my post on tempeh and informed me that the B12 found in tempeh is actually just an analog of the vitamin. He also sent me this link.

"Getting B12 shouldn't be difficult for vegetarians, including vegans", the article said. It also mentioned that former meat-eaters already have enough B12 stored in the body to be recycled and re-used for up to 20 or 30 years. Dairy and eggs are good sources of vitamin B12 so the deficiency in this nutrient is not an issue for ovo-lacto-vegetarians.

Thus, the cheese in the soup, M. :-p

2 comments:

yamayoga said...

I'm sticking to my guns
Cheese + soup = bleaaghh

Unknown said...

Hahaha... I knew you'd react to this.