Depression came to visit again. And what more appropriate time to visit than the moon day? The new moon day to be exact. A number of articles has been written on the different energetic experiences that people go through on moon days. Ashtangis, in practicular, are very much aware of this and thus the observance of moon days as asana rest days.
My belief in the subtle energetic field that governs all things in this world is not really that solid until a couple of days ago. I made this pact with another person two years ago and somehow I felt something odd last Friday night. As I wrote in my journal, "A partnership, be it in the form of marriage, friendship or long time commitment, when sanctified with rituals, leads to the creation of a strong but subtle energetic bond between two people... a bond that is felt even with physical absence and great distance." I felt a corruption in that bond and thus the emotional outburst. I didn't know what was happening, I just felt something was wrong.
The experience was confirmed by the same person the next day. Some will say it's only a coincidence... maybe... maybe not... whatever it was, I felt it when it happened.
I feel way better compared two days ago but I just want to know what science has to say regarding yoga and depression.
You can read the full article from Psychology Today here.
Here's a summary of that article:
Regular practice of hatha yoga reduces stress and anxiety. The Stress Reduction and Relaxation Program (SRRP) developed by Dr. Jon Cabat-Zinn of the University of Massachusetts has been shown to significantly reduce anxiety and depression. This method involves observing one's mental processes.
The practice of pranayama, or yogic breathing exercises, has been found to be very effective in treating depression.
Stephen Cope, author of the book Yoga and the Quest for the True Self, explained that the practice of yogasanas, or yogic postures, improves mood by moving energy into the body and directing it to parts where negative emotions are stored. Regular practice can release these blocked energies and create an experience of well-being. Cope also mentioned that yoga students can also benefit from their relationship with their yoga instructors. The instructor can provide a "container" or a safe place for investigating, expressing and resolving emotional issues.
Yoga combined with traditional psychological treatments for depression has also been found to be more effective in preventing relapse.
No comments:
Post a Comment