Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day

Johann and Papa

5 comments:

jowan said...

this is my favorite post yet. :)

you know what they say very particular about children named "Johann" or its derivations John, Giovanni, Juan, Jean, Joao?

it is a name with Hebrew origins that means: though this child, the Divine shows grace and favor by leaving us the greatest of gifts. the feminine version of the name means "gracious gift from God". and what else is grace if it is not synonymous to love? ;)

big teddy hugs to Johann from a big teddy sister.

Unknown said...

He is indeed a Divine's grace. Makes me think of moving back to Davao next year really.

I was already in the University when he was born and wasn't really able to spent a lot of time with him.

I only see him for a week or two whenever I'm in Davao for holidays.

My stint in UP this year just might dictate where I'd want to be next year.

jowan said...

:) your last line just right there reminded me of my favorite poem while i was in high school in Davao. Our schools are just few throw stones away, just like many lovely places there.

Here are the best lines of Robert Frost's Road Not Taken.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both
...
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

In my many wanderings and garbled musings, Frost's words are one of my North stars. Wherever your stint in UP points you at, hope it guides you to moments that make life worthwhile.

On my next visit to Davao, hope I could get to meet your brother. I will teach him two poems. ;) This one by Frost and my other high school favorite: Invictus by William Ernest Henley.

Hope you are well! I am back to studying again while working ;) Next month, I start volunteer teaching yoga with ICANSERVE, a foundation that works with breast cancer survivors :) Very excited.

Om.

jowan said...

Sharing the poem, Invictus, to Johann and to you :)

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Unknown said...

Thanks Jowan... when are you coming back to class? :-)