Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Perfect Comfort Food for the Rainy Days

Tofu Salpicao

Monggo with Kalabasa (Squash) & Dahon ng Sili (Chili leaves)
=====================================

I just wanted the monggo (mung beans) and then I remembered I still had tofu in the fridge. So I sliced to tofu into small chunks. Minced some garlic... about 2 tablespoons... mixed it to 3 tablespoons of vegetarian mushroom oyster sauce and 2 tbsp light soy sauce. Allowed it to marinate for about 20 minutes... for me, while I was waiting for the monggo to soften.

Fried the marinated tofu in some oil until brown... turned to heat to a minimum and added the marinade. Covered the pan and allowed the tofu to soak in the marinade more. Well that was the idea but I don't think the tofu was able to do that. Anyway, turned off the heat and added some butter... about a 2 tbsp. Added salt and pepper to taste. Serve it over steamed brown rice and top with crispy fried garlic for a more rajastic... err... garlicky meal.

Now for the monggo... I used about 5/6 cups of split mung beans soaked in 3 cups water for about an hour or two. Soaked it before I did my practice early this evening. Did only primary so it was less than 2 hours really but for sure more than 60 minutes.

Discarded the water used for soaking and used another 3 cups of fresh water. Allowed it to boil and soften almost very mushy. I had to add more water because it almost dried out. Not sure how much I added. Another 3 cups is a good estimate ;-). Added the squash chunks and allowed it to soften.

In another pan, I sauteed minced garlic and sliced onions in some oil. Then poured the monggo-squash mixture into it. Added 3-4 tbsp of light soy sauce and some salt & pepper. Mixed in the chili leaves until wilted and I had the perfect Filipino dhal.

Ok, better sleep now as I have an early private class tomorrow.

Om.


2 comments:

allen said...

i was inggit at our train conversation and also missed SMOKE. My tofu salpicao--using toyo & coco jam. with grilled talong &kamatis. YUM :p

Unknown said...

Coco jam in salpicao? hmnnn... wanna share your recipe?