Thursday, July 23, 2009

Last night at the shala...

... was a perfect opportunity for the regulars to experience a Sivananda class.

I'm not usually very strict regarding following the moon day tradition as most of the students here don't really practice 6 days a week. Based on my experience, I feel the subtle effects of the moon days more when I do my full practice regularly (meaning 6 days in a week). I've split my practice to keep it under 2 hours since last month.

2 of those who attended the class last night decided to continue their ashtanga practice and 1 of them said she felt a bit heavy during practice. Coincidence? I told her to make a record of those days when she'dl feel either heavy or really light and strong. Chances are, those days will fall +/- 3 days around moon days.

Image from www.astronomyindia.org

Last night was special. It was a new moon plus it was the day of the longest total solar eclipse
in 2009.

Bolo Satguru Sivananda Maharaja Ki! Jai!
Bolo Swami Vishnu-Devananda Maharaja Ki! Jai!


3 comments:

chona said...

The Sivananda practice looks and feels "gentler" (for lack of a better term, and what with all those savasanas) than ashtanga...but my shoulders, arms, and legs have been sore since last night! Arrrruuuuyyyy!

The experience was different but not in any way less "enjoyable" than ashtanga. I guess because it taps the other dimensions of yoga practice. Thank you for letting us go through it on that special moon night.

Sali daw si Joy sa next Sivananda session mo ;-)

Unknown said...

Hi Jon! Yup, that was an interesting practice last night. I totally enjoyed it, even though I was clumsier than usual (wait—but I'm always clumsy, hehe) :) Cheers!

Unknown said...

@Chona... sige tell her sa next solar eclipse at moon day.(palaaway! hahahaha) :-p

@Rachelle... ey... thanks for dropping by. I really enjoyed teaching that class. Till next moon day. Cheers.