Thursday, May 21, 2009

More on Guruji

Thanks M.

Our teacher Paul's tribute to Guruji...

In loving memory of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois, "Guruji"

July 16, 1915 - May 18, 2009

(This is a personal account of my connection with a great teacher. For a more detailed biography of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois please read Alex Medin's very well written article about him, his life and work. Also view Barry Silver's pictorial to music.)

By Paul Dallaghan

Read the article here.

***

I learned from fellow YM teachers that Paul and I were born on the same day, May 19, with Paul older by 6 years. Good sign.

***

A beautiful photo tribute to Guruji from Ashtanga Yoyogi.

2 comments:

yamayoga said...

hey i didn't know u shared the same birthday.... very auspicious.... :)

jowan said...

Dear Jon,

Only from your blog did I learned that Guruji was born on 16th July. Never knew this because since I started learning, practicing and reading about Ashtanga Yoga, notes about him always say that "he was born on a full moon in July". The day was never specified.

16th July 1915... is also the feast day of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. And 64 years later after Guruji was born, my mother gave birth to her first born and
named her after Joan of Arc and the Mother that appeared on Mount Carmel. ;)

My life's deepest prayer has always been: that the paths of these great people sort of rub (kahit man katiting lang) into my own journey towards awareness, healing, happiness and peace ;)

Here's posting on your blog what I sent to the group days ago. Amidst the seeming loss and sadness, these words helps me keep life, death and living in bliss in perspective...

On one of the ten peaceful evenings we spent in Yoga Thailand for the training, we saw a movie about a wise sage from Arunachala. As I read the news of the passing of Guruji, the words of Ramana Maharshi are the first thing that comes to my mind. Sharing...

"They say that I am dying, but I am not going away. Where could I go? I am here." - Ramana Maharshi

Om Lokaha Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu.
jowan