Have modern attitudes turned the donation tradition into just a way to get cheap yoga? By: Yogacharya
Even in not so ancient times, the passing of yogic knowledge from teacher to student was a reverential affair. The guru watched over their students with paternal love, while the student venerated their guru, ever-grateful for the immeasurable gifts of greater understanding that they were being given.
In sharing this gift of knowledge, the guru did not seek fame or personal fortune. The student, according to his or her own means, paid what ever they could afford. Kings and nobles paid gold and jewels, while peasants gave pennies. The guru did not see one as more giving than the other.
This donation was referred to as Guru Dakshina, which means “giving out of respect,” a “love offering” of utmost appreciation by the student to their teacher. (Read the rest of the article here.)
3 comments:
There's a second part of the article which posed the question, will the donation system work? I see two main barriers: one is the consumer mentality price=quality, low price=low quality, peanuts=monkeys; and two, the human tendency to get a way with or circumvent the rule or to cheat, as supported by psych theories and the BGita.
But in one occasion I saw how the donation system worked for a fundraising event--lugaw for sale, pay whatever you could, proceeds would go to certain beneficiaries. The bowls of lugaw there might have been the most expensive in the Philippine history: from Php100 to Php1,000 per bowl. Of course, this was a one-time event. If you go to yoga class four times a week, that would be a different story.
Going back to the question, will it work? I'd say yes, in the right context with the right teacher...because I believe a teacher attracts the students "whose hearts are after his/her own heart."
Hi Chona & Jon! I think the only way to answer that question is to give it a go! So...? hehehe!
I may be in a position to try that here, actually. Malaman... but I definitely need to do some research first. Am attending my first ashtanga class tomorrow and I hope to get a sense of the yoga 'scene'.
:-) Trin
Hi Jon, Chona and Trin,
I can shed some light on donation-based yoga. I have been attending Yoga To The People in New York for over a year. Jon did a post about them previously as well. I am absolutely loyal to this studio.
As Chona said, there is definitely an *initial* tendency to "get away with" to pay the very minimum. But in time, the more frequent a student attends practice, it becomes less about "how much should I pay" and more about "how much was my practice worth".
With regard to low price = low quality: while there is definite overcrowding at times in donation-based studios (i.e., Yoga To The People), and less one-on-one contact w/ the teacher, I think this is not necessarily a bad thing. #1 low price attracts people who otherwise could not afford to reap benefits; #2 more people is sometimes less intimidating, because you see all types of people with difference experience levels, body-types, flexibilty; #3 more people means it gets HOT; #4 more people means potential of making friends and keeping things fun.
To Trin - I agree, I think the best thing to do is to try it.
I've been interested in trying out the donation-based system based on my experience with yoga to the people.
As a matter of fact, I currently have a space in QC (Tomas Morato) that would ideally fit between 20-30 students, mat to mat. (its in a spa, so practitioners would have access to changing rooms, showers, if needed).
I'd love to talk about this further. Any body interested in chatting?
Michael Bantigue
michaelbantigue7@gmail.com
Post a Comment