Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tofu Stir Fry and Organic Red Rice

One thing that I actually love being home is that I can get organic rice and vegetables fairly easily. A bit pricey for an average Filipino but hey it's organic. Whatever that means. I'm not really that strict when it comes to my food. As long they don't breath through the nose and the gills, move and react to touch, I'm ok with it. :-p

The Lung Center Sunday market is only a jeepney away from where I live and if I try not to be lazy, it's actually a nice Sunday morning walk to the market.

I tried it once last January though it ever happened again as I've been sleeping late on Saturday nights and do my full practice Sunday morning.

This wasn't my lunch today. It's one of last month's meals. Now that I have a fridge, I should be cooking more often. The only problem now is that the kitchen is small and only one person can use it at a time. Anyway, we'll see.

I'm thinking of making tofu with 3 mushroom sauce for dinner later. If the tamas win, then it will be spaghetti and tomato sauce again. Very exciting, aye? At least I make fresh tomato sauce.

Now for tofu stir fry and steamed red rice.

2 small tofu squares (I get the one from SM or Landmark, 2 small squares for only 25php, about half a dollar), cut into strips and fry until golden brown. Set aside.

Mixed vegetables. A cup each of thinly-sliced cabbage, carrots, and bean sprouts.

A clove or 2 of garlic, minced.

1 medium white onion, about the size of a ping-pong ball or golf ball, sliced thinly.

Salt and pepper to taste.

3-4 tablespoons Stir fry Sauce (choose from vegetarian oyster sauce, dark/light soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, hoisin sauce, teriyaki sauce, mushroom sauce - or a combination. Be creative. Key is to add little by little until you get the taste that suits you.)

Some chili garlic sauce or kick.

===

Only had one class this morning in Makati. Gela apprentices in my Tuesday morning class and when only YM teachers come for practice, I usually ask her to just do her practice. But today, Maritoni, a co-YM teacher, suggested that I practice instead and let Gela teach the class so we could already give her an assessment.

Honestly, it was music to my ear... hehehe. Who wouldn't want to practice instead?

Thus, today was an easy day. Full practice but went light on the vinyasas because I had a tooth extraction last Saturday.

I might go to UP later to watch the UP Pep Team Philippines practice their routine for the Asian Championships this weekend if I'm not mistaken. They'll be leaving for Japan on Thursday and today will be my last chance to see their routine before the competition.

I teach yoga to the UP Pep Squad regularly and man, some of them can do crazy stuffs with their body. I was originally planning on teaching them "Mysore" but with 60 cheerleaders attending the once-a-week class, I thought it would be best to just do led.

Always, I remind them that yoga is not gymnastics. Sure they can do headstand and handstand easily but is the breath calm? The mind quiet and focused? More than anything else, I wanted them to learn that yoga is about being present. In sports psychology, it's about being able to achieve the state of flow.

Oneness in the breath, body and mind.

Here's a photo of the team doing asanas on their dual-purpose puzzle mats.

2 mats attached together = yoga mat.

Several mats attached together in a line = tumbling mat

4 mats attached to form a square = stunting mats

All the mats attached forming a rectangle = safety mat

Good luck UP Pep! Eat more veggies and make us proud!

2 comments:

yogainmylife said...

Hey jon! Too bad I missed class today. Would have been nice to practice with you and gela teach! The pics you posted of the pep squad looks fun! So the yoga is part of their training for pep squad?
MIA

Unknown said...

Hi Mia, yup. It's part of their cross-training program. It's like gymnastics + psychological skills training rolled into one. Teaching them breathwork, simple meditation and progressive relaxation techniques as well.