Sunday, December 19, 2010

Creamy Vegetarian Macaroni Soup

I arrived here an hour past midnight.  Naturally, one would simply sleep and rest the entire morning and that's exactly what I did.  At about 10am, I decided to do a short asana and simple pranayama practice.  This weather is very good for sitting practices... it helps calm and clear the mind.

At 1pm, I decided to go to Tung Chung to buy the ingredients for this evening's dinner and tomorrow's lunch.  So even though rJ and his flatmates won't be home until about 9pm, dinner is ready.  I'll be going back to Tung Chung in a while though to meet a UP CHK colleague.

I believe I've made this soup in the past and posted the recipe here.  Earlier today, I googled "Filipino sopas recipe" and checked the ingredients just to make sure I had the basics in mind.  What's new with this evening's soup is the chopped cabbage.  I don't think I used that in the previous recipe.  I have to check.

Anyway, here it goes...

Saute minced garlic (about 5 cloves) in oil, then add 1-2 handfuls of chopped white onion.  Stir for 1 minute until onion becomes translucent and aromatic.  Add 350g chopped vegetarian/fake chicken (or tofu).  Stir.  Add 1 L water and bring to boil.  Once boiling, add 350g elbow macaroni and cook for 5-8 minutes.  Add 2-3 cups of vegetable cubes (carrots, peas, corn kernels... I used the frozen mixed vegetables because it's cheaper).  Stir in 2-3 vegetable stock cubes.  Mix well.  Add water if necessary.  Add 2 handfuls of chopped cabbage. Stir and simmer for one minute.  Stir in evaporated milk until desired consistency and milkiness is achieved.  Add 2-3 tablespoons butter.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Add a little bit of sugar to bring out the flavor and it's ready.

Perfect for this cold weather.

Tomorrow... felafel sandwich with garlicky yoghurt dressing.

Photos next time.

No comments: