Sunday, July 18, 2010

Seraphin or Serra-P-In = Burning Back!

Minimizing Back Pain - Dr. Weil's Weekend Tip

***


 Seraph (sĕr`əf), plural seraphim (–ĭm), supernatural being. The name seems to derive from the Hebrew word "to burn." (TheFreeEncyclopedia, 2010).


"My mid-back has been sore for the last few days and there's an occasional sharp, burning pain running from the middle region of the spine to the lower back part of the ribcage."
 

 

Meet Serra-P-In, the muscle, not the supernatural being.  It was burning, alright.  Exactly as it is pictured.  On the ride side.


Serratus posterior inferior is a muscle in the middle region of the back.  It runs diagonally upwards from the spinous processes of T11-T12 and L1-L2 to ribs 9-12 (AAMM, July 18, 2010).  It stabilizes the lower ribs and pulls them back and down, and aids in respiration.


Wednesday morning, I was doing my asana practice and was jumping through to do janu B when I felt the sharp stabbing pain in the right mid-back.  I did janu B right and focused on slow deep breathing.

I stepped back... updog... downdog... and stepped forward to do janu B left when the pain became unbearable.  I immediately decided to close from there.


Yogamudrasana... padmasana... savasana.


***

I lost the rest of the post when the internet connection went down for few seconds.  I'll try to reconstruct it tomorrow.  The week was about vyadhi (illness or disease), an obstacle to the yogic path.

But Serra-P-In and I are friends now so hopefully tomorrow I'll be 100% functional.

"Yoga injuries are opportunities to slow down and increase inner awareness" - from my YT TT notes in 2007.  It must have been Neil who said this because it was in the anatomy section of my notes.

Om.

No comments: