Friday, April 30, 2010

Faith and Service



My mother was a bit worried that Johann won't be able to continue his education in a normal school because of his disability.  Some schools didn't even bother to check his mental abilities when they saw him on the wheelchair which got my mother really upset.  


Johann is a bright kid and even speaks English better than some of his teachers.


A couple of weeks ago, my sister informed me that Mama was really happy that Johann got accepted at the Brokenshire High School in Davao.  An exciting high school life awaits Johann this June.  



Sometimes, all we need to do is have a little more faith in the universe.

***

Kino left right after the morning led class.  I feel really blessed for the opportunity to assist her.  It's like assisting Freddie Roach as he trains Manny Pacquaio for his next fight (Ok, I'm not really a boxing fan but you get my point.)  Assisting Kino Macgregor!  Shut up!  Struck by the brightness of her star, hehehe.

"Have faith in the method," she said to the group yesterday.

***

Fides et sevitum.  That is the motto of Brokenshire College.  Isn't it very yogic?

***

It's pizza day!  Had 4 slices and a bowl of stir-fried noodles topped with stir-fried asparagus. 

Now off to take a nap by the beach and under the coconut trees.


Not!  I'm just making you envious.  I'm actually at home and will take a nap on the sofa bed with the fan on.  This photo was taken a couple of days ago when the sky wasn't that clear.  I have to make sure that I'm properly dressed as my housemate arrived yesterday with me flat dead on the sofa bed with my running shorts only.  I was too tired to even notice her coming in.  Another embarrassing experience to be added on the list, hehehe.

Zzzzzzz...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jon...shut up! How cool you were assisting Kino? What a wonderful team.

Also congrats with Johann. I'm sure once he gets in there, he will be the star with his charming self.

Unlike you @ the beach, I'm in chilly Norhtern California.
Have prepared empaleya (probably not spelled correct) twice this week. Finding it at the weekend farmer's market here. Sooo good!
Enjoying the luscious vegetation here, but NYC is calling...
Hugs,

Judith

Unknown said...

Judith, yes it was a great experience.

Ampalaya, bitter gourd. I hated that vegetable before I became vegetarian. We usually prepare it for breakfast, sauted and with egg.

I will try to apply for a US tourist visa this October.

Will enjoy the beach for you today.

Hugs.

yogainmylife said...

I am glad johann got into a school. The Filipino traditional schools are not too open to accomodation kasi so its really a problem here...

Mia

Unknown said...

Mia, yes... I don't blame them though. Better say it straight that they don't have trained staff to handle Johann's condition rather than say that they don't accept "abnormal kids". Mama's only request was that Johann's classroom should be on the ground floor because it would be very difficult to carry him and his wheelchair up to the 2nd floor and up. That's one. Two, that he gets exempted from writing activities, and three, that he gets his examinations orally. An extra work that some teachers aren't really willing to extend.

Also, most of our SPED teachers have "fled" the country teaching in the US or in other rich countries. Such a shame really but we can't blame them also.