Sunday, July 20, 2008

Yoga Sutras Q&A II

What happens when success in yoga is achieved?
  • From this practice all the obstacles disappear and simultaneously dawns knowledge of the inner self YS I:23
What are these obstacles?
  1. disease
  2. dullness
  3. doubt
  4. carelessness
  5. laziness
  6. sensuality
  7. false perception
  8. failure to reach firm ground
  9. slipping from the ground gained
  • YS I:30
What are the accompaniments /signs of these obstacles?
  1. distress
  2. despair
  3. trembling of the body
  4. disturbed breathing
  • YS I:31
What is the best way to prevent these?
  • the practice of concentration on a single object (or use of one technique) is the best way to prevent the obstacles and their accompaniments. - YS I:32
How do we maintain our peace or practice concentration?
  1. by cultivating attitudes of friendliness toward the happy, compassion for the unhappy, delight in the virtuous, and disregard toward the wicked - YS I:33
  2. by the controlled exhalation or retention of the breath - YS I:34
  3. by concentrating on subtle sense perception - YS I:35
  4. by concentrating on the supreme, even blissful Light within - YS I:36
  5. by concentrating on a great soul's mind which is totally freed from attachment to sense objects - YS I:37
  6. by contemplation or concentrating on the experience had during dream or deep sleep - YS I:38
  7. by meditating on anything one chooses that is elevating - YS I:39
The rest of Chapter I explains the different types of samadhi which I still need to understand more. The study of the Yoga Sutras takes time. It took me several versions and commentaries to really grasp its teachings... and the learning continues.

I hope this Q&A has somehow gave you an idea on this classical text by Patanjali.

Reference: The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by Swami Satchidananda.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jon for the YS Q&A. Hope you won't mind but I created a separate page in my blog for this topic, with credits to you naman (IPR!) ;-)

In three weeks' time I'll have my own copy of that book. Good luck sakin, he he.

Unknown said...

Mafe mushkala ya sadiqi.

I'll post bits and pieces of Chapter 2 when I get to Mysore.

It was easier for me to study and understand mostly everything using this Q&A method. Hope you found it helpful.

Will try to come up with Q&A's also of the other texts like the Bhagavad Gita, Hathapradipika, Shiva Samhita and the Gerandha Samhita.

Anonymous said...

He he, what does "Mafe mushkala ya sadiq" mean? Tried searching, internet says it's an Azerbaijani term, no translation available.

Yeah, those docs are certainly helpful. So keep them coming...and keep a copy as well. Baka mauna pa ma publish ang Yoga Texts Made Easy mo kaysa sa coffeetable book, he he.

Someone is also giving me a copy of BGita. Hmmm, what is the universe telling me...?

Unknown said...

It means "no problem, my friend".

Ewan... tanong mo ke Krishna. :-p

Anonymous said...

OMK! Baka sagutin ako! =D

Anonymous said...

hello sir... hehehe... jm here, one of your students in yoga class Davao... I just want to let you know that we constantly visit your blog site for updates...and thank you very much for inspiring us to do yoga. Bing, Maimai and I, we meet every Saturday in ateneo to have our own group yoga sessions... again, thank you...

Anonymous said...

Thank you. Just one tiny bit. When some students go back to their work or individual professions, their work requires them to doubt. Is that alright by you? (number 3 in the obstacles list.). In the practice of yoga, I agree: the student should listen carefully to the teachers, to trust in their competence (after earlier verifying it, haha), and not to doubt them, in order to be safe, avoid injuries, and derive the most learning. Thank you for your discussion, regards and happy trip! -grasshopper

Arturo said...

Hi Jon
In our sutra reading group, we take turns reading sections from 5 different translations. It helps because the first translations were not written by people who had spiritual practices, but by scholars. Hence they did not make much sense. The newer books are written with the practitioner in mind and one can see how it applies to one's life. You have done that as well in your post.
Cheers,
Arturo