Practice was great this morning... from pranayama to asanas. The breath was smooth and the mind was calm. Had a nice 10 minute walk towards the shala with Jack Harrison's Wind across the Sea on my ipod. The energy at the shala is calmer now that a lot of people had left. I didn't have to wait when I arrived to get a spot and Sharath even told me to come 15 minutes earlier tomorrow.
I was at the 8am class when I arrived and didn't start practice until about 8:40 because there were so many people. Two weeks later, Sharath moved me to 7:30. When I re-registered last week, he told me to come at 6:30. And a week later, 6:15. I just hope I don't come earlier than 6 because that means I need to get up at 3am and do my pranayama before practice. A friend said to just do it after asanas as it is actually the recommendation written in the old hatha texts, but I feel more ready to do asanas after pranayama. Will see how it goes when I get there.
It's humid and I feel like taking a shower but it's another 8 minute walk to my place and I promised one of my Sanskrit classmates that I'd help him with the last lesson because he missed it.
Got to leave now as sweat is starting to drip off my face. I feel sticky ... feels like I'm in the middle of EDSA. Ciao.
===
Yoga Rahasya I:19-20
In ashtanga yoga, yama and niyama comes first. Having practiced this, one must regularly practice the prescribed asanas.
Then one must do pranayama, followed by pratyahara. Then dharana, dhyanam, samyama and Samadhi must be continuously practiced.
In case one gives up this sequence, and practices as he wishes, he will not obtain the benefits of ashtanga yoga.
2 comments:
"In ashtanga yoga, yama and niyama comes first. Having practiced this, one must regularly practice the prescribed asanas."
My non-ashtanga teacher told me this...follow the order of the eight limbs, start with yama and niyama...not sure if it's the reason why he's bombarding me with "yogic matters" other than the practice of asanas. Either that or obvious na attachment ko sa material world, ha ha!
Nice pics!
Some teachers do teach these stuffs during asana practice... depends on the their teaching style I guess. For me, it's military-style, do this... do that...
turn your foot this way...
keep your dristhi...
relax your shoulders...
too much aggression in marichi D... remember ahimsa...
now breathe...
ekam inhale... dve exhale... :-p
Post a Comment